Upcoming Workshops and Trainings
Engaged Faculty Institute
January 8th - 25th, 2021
Virtual Institute, Asynchronous + Live Zoom
In partnership with Iowa Campus Compact
Whether you are new to teaching community-engaged learning courses, or are a community-engagement expert, this Institute provides opportunities for everyone to learn best practices for community engaged teaching and learning. Traditionally offered in-person every spring semester, this year the Institute will be offered both over winter break and in the spring semester through an online, asynchronous format, followed by a synchronous Zoom workshop. The Institute will cover all aspects of teaching a community-engaged course, including:
- Foundations and critical commitments to community engagement
- Planning and Facilitation
- Partnerships and Engagement
- Learning Outcomes and Reflection
- Assessment and Evaluation
Recorded Workshop Videos
Community Engagement for Inclusion and Justice Workshop (October 15th, 2020)
Defining and Sustaining Community Partnerships Workshop (November 12th, 2020)
Developing community engaged learning courses
- PRELOAD: A rubric to evaluate course syllabi for quality indicators of community engagement and service-learning components. Kieran, L. & Haack, S., Journal of Community Engagement in Higher Education (2019).
- Tippie RISE experiential course rubric, University of Iowa Tippie College of Business (2016).
Building community partnerships
- Different Worlds and Common Ground: Community Partner Perspectives on Campus-Community Partnerships, Sandy, Marie and Barbara A. Holland, Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning (2006).
- Perceptions of Partnership: A study on nonprofit and higher education collaboration, Trebil-Smith, Kara and Emily Shields, Iowa Campus Compact (2019).
- Student Perceptions of Community-Based Research Partners and the Politics of Knowledge, Kane, Emily W., Michigan Journal of Community Service Learning (2012).
Assessing community engaged learning
- Uniform Assessment of the Benefits of Service Learning: The Development, Evaluation and Implementation of the SELEB Scale, Toncar, Mark F., Jane S. Reid, David J. Burns, Cynthia E. ANderson and Heiu P. Nguyen, Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice (2006).
- The Influence of Service Learning on Students' Personal and Social Development, Simons, Lois and Beverly Cleary, College Teaching (2006).